Saturday, September 17, 2011

Learning Log 7

Finally, the long-awaited performance of Romeo and Juliet has ended. At first, I thought the whole performance was stupid and wasted lots of my time as a lot of preparation was required to make the whole play a success. However, it was until the day before the performance when I finally found out that I was wrong.

My group did not do much at the beginning as many of us had ccas which clashes with most of our practices ans thus, our director, Rachel, had to cancel many of our meetings. This led to lower expectations from me as I felt that we could not fare very well without a lot of practices. But, luckily for us, we managed to do well, which was way beyond what I had expected. In the play, I play Lady Capulet, which was a minor role. However, do not belittle this role. Behind the 1 minute appearance that I had to make, we spent around 2 practices to perfect and master it. So, if you think that being Romeo is easy, think again. I felt that I did quite a good job as I did not forget what was I supposed to do and I managed to overcome stage fright.

To sum up, I feel that the whole play is very interesting as I got to know more of my classmates better. The best part about the whole R&J play is that we get to tease the Romeos and Juliets when they "kiss" in the middle of the whole scene. It was also funny to see how my members recite the wrong lines at the wrong time, which sets the whole team to laugh non-stop. I still remember two days before the actual performance, Tarif ( the Romeo in my group ) recited the wrong lines and it was so ... indescribable.

I think that the performance would be better if the space given is not so restricted as I saw some of the group's characters' heads got "cut off" and it might affect their overall score.

No comments:

Post a Comment